• NEW UGRR DISPLAY!!

    The Stevens Museum at the John Hay Center is happy to announce the opening of our new display, in the main gallery, over the county’s involvement with the Underground Railroad.    Assuredly, soon after the settling of this area, certain factions of our pioneers were assisting runaway slaves on their trek to freedom. Large groups […]

    Continue reading
  • Indiana Landmarks Salem Stroll

    For Immediate Release                                                              Media contact: Greg Sekula, director of Indiana Landmarks’ southern office in Jeffersonville, 812-284-4534, gsekula@indianalandmarks.org October 5, 2016   Community Photograph at the Washington County Courthouse -Sunday, October 23, 2016 2:15 pm     Indiana Landmarks, a statewide, non-profit, historic preservation organization, is inviting all residents of Washington County to the south lawn […]

    Continue reading
  • Indiana Bicentennial Event – Crown Hill Cemetery

    Indiana Bicentennial Event-Crown Hill Cemetery In conjunction with the Indiana Bicentennial, the Indiana Archive and Records Administration (IARA) is planning to honor the 43 pioneer delegates, who met in Corydon 200 years ago, to compose Indiana’s first constitution and establish our statehood.  To commemorate the contributions of our state’s founding fathers, the IARA will be holding public […]

    Continue reading
  • The Matriarch of Salem

    In 1807, one year after the lands that became Washington County were officially surveyed, a group of Quaker men came to the area, from North Carolina, to seek out new lands to settle away from the slavery policies of the south.  Two of these men, Samuel and William Lindley Jr., chose to settle near the Blue River […]

    Continue reading